Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Let the Lent begin

Tuesday night we celebrated "Pancake Tuesday" or "Phat Tuesday" or "Mardi Gras",  or "what have you"... whatever it was... we celebrated it with Pancakes.

This is something I've been doing all my life, and when asked about the "why?" I don't really know, so I mumble some barely coherent string of reasons that may or may not have ANYTHING to do with the real history behind this tradition...but I'm big on traditions that involve suppers with syrup and an excuse to have bacon, so that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

As a kid, I remember my dad pulling out all the stops for Pancake Tuesday. There would be stacks of pancakes and every kind of topping imaginable. All kinds of pie fillings, (apple, blueberry, cherry-- you name it!), piles of whipped cream and sugar cinnamon to sprinkle on top. My dad could be very good at the-pulling-out-of-all-stops kind of things, so those are all good memories.

In University, my roommate Julie and I found ourselves holed up in my dorm room one night and with midterms the next day and our own studying to do, we decided that we would break out the griddle and adorn some golden flapjacks with scoops of vanilla ice cream, the last of a jar of Nutella and some homemade syrup (melted butter and brown sugar)....

oh sweet merciful heaven...

I don't remember what exam I was studying for, or even what class... I just remember those pancakes. We enjoyed the food so much that as we ate we began to giggle and by the time we were done, we were laughing for no discernible reason, only that we were liberated by Sugar on a Tuesday night.

This year we had Kevin's sister, K,with us and unfortunately I burned the bacon. (bad!)
But I made the most delicious fresh fruit sauce for the pancakes  (good!)
I realized after pouring the cream into my mixing bowl that I had no electric mixer because it broke (bad!)
But I beat that cream senseless all on my own (a little help from Kev) and I feel like a rockstar now (good!)

For the fruit sauce I threw into my blender:
2 bananas
about 8 strawberries diced
2 canned pear halves
2 canned peach halves
and a little juice from the can


Pancakes have the same effect on me too.


Everything we ate tasted like dessert....so very good.

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent and I am ready to dive into reflections for the Lenten season in preparation for Easter.It's a season similar to Advent, as it is a season to prepare one's heart for the coming celebration of the biggest event on our religious calendar.
I've started the process I go through every year of self-discipline and fasting from different habits and indulgences
I read and study the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
I take special time to reflect on my blessing and give thanks

...and I started this morning

over the leftover pancakes from last night....

cheers.

p.s. I'll be back again today to post on Julia's Sewing Bee! woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...